Godulike Forum Index Godulike
An irreverent look at the faith industry
Buy Godulike Stuff at Shopulike

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Religion Die?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Religion Die In a Century?
Yes, and there will be no religion in society
22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
Yes, the main one's will but small one's remain
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
There wiil be a huge revelation that will alter everything
29%
 29%  [ 9 ]
There will be even MORE religion than there is now
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
The main religions will still have the power
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 31

Sthir
Is anybody out there?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2023 1:33 am    Post subject: fine balance Reply with quote

dox4242 wrote:
Quote:
We live in an increasingly technological age. That is only going to increase. People no longer want to live in ignorance and obscurity, they want answers and explainations, and they want it in a straightforward way. Religion cannot provide that.

Why must religion and science be mutually exclusive? Can no religion tolerate--even promote--science? If God is defined as pure truth, beauty, and goodness, then the pursuit of scientific truth is but one narrow path to God (even if that particular path, by itself, doesn't lead all the way (unless it does...who knows? I certainly don't, I'm just guessing)). Sure, religion will continue to evolve, sometimes minor changes, sometimes major changes. Specific religions will come and go, but it probably takes centuries/generations of conquest and re-conquest to either exterminate and/or re-doctrinate all adherents. But I don't think religion itself will ever die; even if every modern religion fades away, there will be replacements (the question, then, is: who and what will replace them?).

People don't want answers, they want food. Once food is taken care of, people just want to be lazy and take care of theirselves. This is the natural order; to do otherwise is unnatural but admirable.

Re: the (non)existence of Jesus and the continuation of Christianity...if the soul became scientifically identifiable, and one could prove which lives one has lived (or not lived) in the past, would Buddhism and Hinduism fall apart? Would they wage wars of persecution on scientists? Or would they adapt and get on with what's important?

For those searching for a fine balance between religion, philosophy and science, Theosophy is the way to go chaps...

cheerio
alkemist
Is anybody out there?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2024 1:28 am    Post subject: Some of my thoughts people! Reply with quote

To begin, I would like to state that I have not read most of replies in this thread. I had found this forum's topic by using good search engine and would like to express my opinion.

I am thankful for religion and most of all music in our world, because we wouldnt be in a situation we are today without it. The instance is not too bad, therefore I do not blame belief. I am atheist for several reasons. Main causes for my neutral belief state are the way I was raised by my family and the lack of need to believe in a higher power. I function..... thats wonderful. Defects.... I cannot do anything about them - life it variable, everybody cannot be equal.... balance between good and bad must exist, therefore everything cannot be positive to human brain. With the birth of human kind.... the brain naturally, instinctively found ways to survive and survival wouldnt be possible without unity. To unite, human kind introduced religion and produced melody. These 2 factors helped us survive and think together. I thank not god for creating me.,... but tiny (as we call it) DNA appearing on this solid sphere which we circle the sun on. Another partial cause for belief, in other words make up of info explaining appearences is natural occurances, such as lighting, rain, night/day, earthquake and stars. Lack of information in human's brain inovlunatary causes makebeliefs. We would rather make an explanation up, rather than not know it.

I will stop now with hope for reply. What was just provided is a thought of a single mind on out HUGE world. If one read above thougts, I thank You. Iteraction is beneficial. Wonderful humans, believe what you believe in, no one human can blame you for your mental state, beucase it is built according to surroundings. Let just be happy we are here. The life is fairly short, out goal is to make future LIVERS life better than us. Why are going to die anyway, it makes no sense to live if we are benefiting future beings.

What was written above is just a fraction of thoughts coming from an atheist mind residing in America. I would trully like to hear variant examinations of my intoxicated thoghts.

Signature:

Please, try to have a pleasurable life, no matter what occurs. We are here, lets not wastle the abilty by turning it into disability. God, no god who cares. We are individuals rased differently, but have the ability to live equally. Lets attempt to achieve that. Isnt it great to have a chance to LIVE?
Rat_bytes
But is reflection proof of life?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2024 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this parable, by Rev. Huber:

J. Huber wrote:
Religion is Like Wine:

Too much will kill you for sure.

Long before that it makes you stupid, tedious to have around, and a danger to yourself and others.

In moderation it makes many people happy, which is reason enough for it, I guess. Too bad even a little makes some people mean. It just makes me sleepy.

Some claim it has health benefits. Maybe so, but I can't help wondering if grape juice would work as well.

If you enjoy it, and can handle it, go for it. But I won't be joining you, and I'd rather not have to say so twice.

Really, drink up. I'll be happy to have you around until you get annoying. Just remember, if you turn into an loud-mouthed asshole or start a fight, the wine is no excuse.

Finally, if you ever find it's ruining your life, and can't quit by yourself, I'm here to help.

elena
Why isn't anybody listening?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: greetings and welcome Reply with quote

Hello Alkemist,

Your words were so thoughtful, kind and beautiful. You sound like a loving and caring human being. For that I commend you. Your atheism has nothing to do with my ability to accept you just the way you are.
You need not apologize for anything, nor seek justification from anyone for how you feel about your life, your lack of religion, or anything else.

It was good you stopped in to chat. Sounds like you can spar with
intellectuals in controversial subjects. This is so good. I do not argue
because it is fruitless. But I don't mind writing things that get the anger
up because of the content.

I do believe. I don't know why except that it is my choice. That does
not make me better than you or worse than you. We are all the same.
Once humans begin to see each other as equals we can begin to realize that pain and suffering are not a necessary part of life that needs
performed on a daily basis. This world is full of pain. We only have
to own our own pain, understand it, let go of it and get on with living a life full of laughter and love.

If you treat people the way you want to be treated as a general rule,
I hate to tell you this, but you are indeed a believer in God. Those were
the words that got the man born in a barn killed. Christianity is nothing
but a substitute for believing in the One and Only.

Helen A. Woman
Possible
Does anyone believe me?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alk, I like the way that u wrote your name wrong. that is good...

ratty and elena are great people. you have come to a great forum, where everyone is nice. I think we can agree to disagree.

Welcome to here .

that is all I have to say! ( kind of like Forrest gump guy) Just wanna say welcome xxx
Nksagar
Does anyone believe me?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: subject Reply with quote

When the religion helps in developing the spirtuality in man.
Man is evolving spirituality which in turn develops the man
materialistically too,the acceptability grows in many dimensions
that religion spreads like a wild fire.
Could be any religion,thought,prinicipal,idea,rituals etc.

www.nksagar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Freez
Can anybody hear me?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlegal wrote:

Christianity---1,901,148,000
Confucianism---6,334,000
Hinduism---764,000,000
Islam---1,033,453,000
Jainism---3,987,000
Judaism---13,451,000
Sikhism---20,204,500
Shintoism---3,387,000
Taoism---149,336,000

no evidence or too many witnesses?

or as Evil Religion said:

Quote:
Because there is no evidence what so ever to supose any other evrsion of events or conspirecy, again any "evidence" of these conspirecies upon closer examination is found to be based on opinion, misinformation or down right fibs.

What you think ER no evidence or too many eye witnesses? (remember that some of the witnesses in the list above will belong to more then one group.
dogfish
Does anyone believe me?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religion is definatley dying out in the UK, churches here are pretty much empty except for old age pensioners, when they are gone churches up and down the country will be empty. It will be interesting to see if the Muslim communities in the UK will follow the lead of the christian communities and simply stop practicing, which is the first step on the road to not believing at all.

all i say is true.
Freez
Can anybody hear me?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogfish wrote:
Religion is definatley dying out in the UK, churches here are pretty much empty except for old age pensioners, when they are gone churches up and down the country will be empty. It will be interesting to see if the Muslim communities in the UK will follow the lead of the christian communities and simply stop practicing, which is the first step on the road to not believing at all.

I guess if UK still had the impire they will be setting a good example. Not. hash hash... But since they lost it who cares anymore? Weather stinks and GNH index is way down. They should surrender to Bhutan rule by majority vote and you can call it then Great Bhutan (no need to change bumper stickers... and it sounds as funny as it is now... Great hmmm)

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4782636.stm
lizard_queen7
Is anybody out there?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what you said alkemist and i like the way you expressed yourself..

PS. I'm new too Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Hahhaah

Before answering to questions about religion dieing out we have to come to an agreement or at least have a common theory or explanation of the term religion because there are so many different interpretations which lead to missunderstandings and no end to the debate.

Some other terms which need to be defined by all of us is spirit /spiritual, god, truth .. Etc..

But i think religion(in my own definition ) will unfortunately never die out, Maybe the main ones will lose its influences, but there are many awaiting for their "15 minutes of fame" and as i can se many people are gullible enough to follow as long as it offers some kind of a "spirit salvation"..

Sad but true..
dogfish
Does anyone believe me?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freez wrote:
I guess if UK still had the impire they will be setting a good example. Not. hash hash... But since they lost it who cares anymore? Weather stinks and GNH index is way down. They should surrender to Bhutan rule by majority vote and you can call it then Great Bhutan (no need to change bumper stickers... and it sounds as funny as it is now... Great hmmm)

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4782636.stm

The truth is we don't really need the empire to influence people anymore, we have our music, fashion and celebrities to do that for us. We are also the second richest country in the world, and our former colonies are first and third respectively. Not bad for a place with only 59 million people, so really we are still a great nation, can't think of many famous things, people or events from bhutan, and your country doesn't even appear to be in the top 50 rich list.

As for religion, well it is dying out in this country, i think it has a lot to do with the level of education in this country, people simply are not believing the wild stories many religions come up with as kind of stop gaps for what we don't know, especially as what were stop gaps in the past, have since been discovered, and the religious guesses were way off the mark.

all i say is true.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We are also the second richest country in the world,

Thats not true, wealth of a nation is judged by banks reserves, usually in Gold currency, sometimes GNP, and Uk is not even second in that also. I think the UK is about 10th. Plus in an opion poll of the best standard of living of any country UK didn't even make top 10, Ireland being number one to offer the best quality of life.

Quote:
guesses were way off the mark.

guesses of modern education way of the mark, i agree. To conform to a materailstic soceity is certainly uneducated.

Also the financial times did a survey, and we all know that the readers of FT are amongst the so called Cream of the british cake. They all said that given the chances they would throw whatver they have learn't away to live a self suffient and more spiritual existance rather than be slaves of an unrelenting and unforgiving materialstic way of life.

Its true alot of people are less interested in organised religion, because it seems to be uncool. But many people still want answers that modern education can't give. The books on alternative and spiritual views is a multi billion dollar industry and growing. Once striped all of the new age language you will see if you had the vision that it's the same basic principles of what religion tried to say, Mainstream christainty failed. But i still think in times to come the new agers and modern so called spirtualist will look to the more mystical traditions for there wisdom, including the Christain mystics.

It maybe uncool to be religious, and cool be spiritual, but if yu really know what your going on about there is very little diffrence between the 2. But if your uneducated and biased, as you seem to be swinging these days dog, you wont be able to make that important discrimination.

We are weak and brainwashed becase we practice a profound mystical path which encorparate all ways of liberation of mind, and can overcome all the pushing of the sense and mind.. really weak.

Wake up fish, your beggining to give off a bad odour, or maybe thats part of your dilusional real nature you have found, i was you iwould take it back and get a refund if i was you. Sorry am i talking to you as if i know you...
dogfish
Does anyone believe me?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markandeya wrote:
Quote:
We are also the second richest country in the world,

Thats not true, wealth of a nation is judged by banks reserves, usually in Gold currency, sometimes GNP, and Uk is not even second in that also. I think the UK is about 10th. Plus in an opion poll of the best standard of living of any country UK didn't even make top 10, Ireland being number one to offer the best quality of life.

Quote:
guesses were way off the mark.

guesses of modern education way of the mark, i agree. To conform to a materailstic soceity is certainly uneducated.

Also the financial times did a survey, and we all know that the readers of FT are amongst the so called Cream of the british cake. They all said that given the chances they would throw whatver they have learn't away to live a self suffient and more spiritual existance rather than be slaves of an unrelenting and unforgiving materialstic way of life.

Its true alot of people are less interested in organised religion, because it seems to be uncool. But many people still want answers that modern education can't give. The books on alternative and spiritual views is a multi billion dollar industry and growing. Once striped all of the new age language you will see if you had the vision that it's the same basic principles of what religion tried to say, Mainstream christainty failed. But i still think in times to come the new agers and modern so called spirtualist will look to the more mystical traditions for there wisdom, including the Christain mystics.

It maybe uncool to be religious, and cool be spiritual, but if yu really know what your going on about there is very little diffrence between the 2. But if your uneducated and biased, as you seem to be swinging these days dog, you wont be able to make that important discrimination.

We are weak and brainwashed becase we practice a profound mystical path which encorparate all ways of liberation of mind, and can overcome all the pushing of the sense and mind.. really weak.

Wake up fish, your beggining to give off a bad odour, or maybe thats part of your dilusional real nature you have found, i was you iwould take it back and get a refund if i was you. Sorry am i talking to you as if i know you...

Well on the web page i went to, it had us down as number 2, either way i am proud to be English, think we are pretty fucking great as a nation.

As for the FT survey, the grass is always greener, and who doesn't want to sit about all day doing nothing, i would love to do that, but in the society we live in that is not possible, and i would imagine that their idea of spirituality is different to yours.

At the end of the day no you don't know me, i am a lot harsher on here than in real life, mainly because of the way others have responded to my mails in the past, manipulating posts to their own ends, being down right rude and nasty, which when coming from a bunch of people who bang on about being spiritual and hollier than though, is quite comical. Think your not going to be Zen master or whatever in this life haha.

And for someone that bangs on about being open minded, have you ever even considered that there is nothing up there, that we are just a lucky occurance, and that there is no mystical meaning to the universe. i am quite open to their being Aliens Ghosts Gods spirits, just nothing i've seen or experianced has convinced me of any of it.

all i say is true.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well on the web page i went to, it had us down as number 2, either way i am proud to be English, think we are pretty fucking great as a nation.

but not as a football team it would seem. I am not proud to be Englsh, especially when most of our wealth is based on murder and dirty politics. The ordinary worker is innocent and is just like a cog in machine, but how did britain get to be a economic power, not so great. But there are good parts, but not good enough for me to take it as a serious candidate to spend the rest of my life. I have travelled alot and the english don't have a great reputation abroad, our great nation has commited many attrocities to get there present status. The only thing i am proud of what we done is starve the Irish< thats a joke to gouranga>.

Quote:
As for the FT survey, the grass is always greener, and who doesn't want to sit about all day doing nothing, i would love to do that, but in the society we live in that is not possible, and i would imagine that their idea of spirituality is different to yours.

I don't think that self sufficiant life means to become lazy. I don't think there idea of spirtiuality would be that diffrent if it was stripped down to the bare basics, we all share the same experience, but the way it's expressed could hold diffrent cultral diversitys, but isn't that a good thing.

Quote:
At the end of the day no you don't know me, i am a lot harsher on here than in real life

Thats true, and i don't think that you could ever really get to know anyone properly on internet forums. Thats why i post alot less, but still to much. Thats why i was suprised when you considered yourself moderate that you just seemed to label anyone who has a religious or spirtal ideal as some muppet that just does what he is told and beleives anythingthat he is told, i haven't git this experince so far, i am a very strong individual, but also weak, but i will never surrender to manipulation. So you don't know me either, so stop being judgemental then maybe there could at least be 1 person who could have a openminded conversation. I would never try to convert, nobody converted me, i made my own mind up. Thats the healthiest way IMO.

Quote:
Think your not going to be Zen master or whatever in this life haha

i would agree. But that doesn't mean in my books that i should take insults lying down. But i don't see it as taking away my spirituality, my sanity maybe, but not the way i interact with my faith.

Quote:
And for someone that bangs on about being open minded, have you ever even considered that there is nothing up there, that we are just a lucky occurance, and that there is no mystical meaning to the universe.

Of course i have, i was pretty much an athiests in my teens and thought that all religion was nothing more than a fantasy for weak minded people.
But i don't think like that anymore, i am not saying that i am right because its hard to prove over the internet. I am not sure that i can send you an email attachement with all my experience and inspirations, i work from my own quaters and i am transformed consciously by introspect and inspiration of experience, whatever shape and form it comes in. I can't give you that as much as i could give you the feeling of my toothache. THe main diffrence to the way i appraoch looking at truth now is that i have learn't the art to some degree of introspect and meditation. This to me is the main diffrence, logic is only coming from the rational intellect, but there is more to us than that, i.e a conscius living enity that at times reveals to us that it has somthing more to say to us than what we have already heard. But we have to learn how to listen to this, this doesn't prove that God exists in itself, but it opens up new parts of us that enables our mind and senses to pick up and translate things in a new way.

Its up to you what you wanna make of this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Godulike Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: