Godulike Forum Index Godulike
An irreverent look at the faith industry
Buy Godulike Stuff at Shopulike

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Richard Dawkins and the Cult of Dawkinism
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is he displaying symptoms of this "mind virus?"
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Not Possible
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
He's in Denial
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

seattlegal
Oh look! It's a mirror!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Richard Dawkins and the Cult of Dawkinism Reply with quote

"Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it."
    --Richard Dawkins

Has he been infected with this mind virus? Let's investigate:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Out of one side of his mouth...

Let us try to teach generosity and altruism, because we are born selfish.
--Richard Dawkins

**commentary**

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.
    -- Albert Einstein, quoted in part from the various poster-portraits of Einstein that have graced Cliff Walker's wall for almost two decades

...And out of the other side of his mouth:

To describe religions as mind viruses is sometimes interpreted as contemptuous or even hostile. It is both. I am often asked why I am so hostile to organized religion.
-- Richard Dawkins, The Devil's Chaplain (2004)

**commentary**

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”
    --Albert Einstein

...And more out of the other side of his mouth:

You cannot be both sane and well educated and disbelieve in evolution. The evidence is so strong that any sane, educated person has got to believe in evolution.
-- Richard Dawkins, in Lanny Swerdlow, "My Sort Interview with Richard Dawkins" (Portland, Oregon, 1996)

**commentary**

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
    --Albert Einstein

To fill a world with ... religions of the Abrahamic kind, is like littering the streets with loaded guns. Do not be surprised if they are used.
-- Richard Dawkins, "Religion's Misguided Missiles" (September 15, 2023)

**commentary**

When an objection cannot be made formidable, there is some policy in trying to make it frightful; and to substitute the yell and the war-whoop, in the place of reason, argument, and good order.
    — Thomas Paine

~~~~~~~
On freedom of speech:

Over the centuries, we've moved on from Scripture to accumulate precepts of ethical, legal and moral philosophy. We've evolved a liberal consensus of what we regard as underpinnings of decent society, such as the idea that we don't approve of slavery or discrimination on the grounds of race or sex, that we respect free speech and the rights of the individual. All of these things that have become second nature to our morals today owe very little to religion, and mostly have been won in opposition to the teeth of religion.
-- Richard Dawkins, quoted in Natalie Angier, "Confessions of a Lonely Atheist," New York Times Magazine, January 14, 2024

**commentary**

Laws alone cannot secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be a spirit of tolerance in the entire population.
    -- Albert Einstein, Out Of My Later Years (1950), quoted from Laird y, ed., "The Degeneration of Belief"

If people think God is interesting, the onus is on them to show that there is anything there to talk about. Otherwise they should just shut up about it.
-- Richard Dawkins (attributed: source unknown)

**Commentary**

I tell them I have worked 40 years to make the W.S. platform broad enough for Atheists and Agnostics to stand upon, and now if need be I will fight the next 40 to keep it Catholic enough to permit the straightest Orthodox religionist to speak or pray and count her beads upon.
    --Susan B. Anthony

~~~~~~~~~~~~

On tolerance:

Out of one side of his mouth:

Let us try to teach generosity and altruism, because we are born selfish.
--Richard Dawkins
(repeat)

**commentary**

Human diversity makes tolerance more than a virtue; it makes it a requirement for survival.
    --Rene Dubos

It is absolutely safe to say that, if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid or insane (or wicked, but I'd rather not consider that).
-- Richard Dawkins, quoted from Josh Gilder, a creationist, in his critical review, "PBS's 'Evolution' series is propaganda, not science" (September, 2001)

**commentary**

“If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different....I'd rather be completely fucking mental.”
    --Angelina Jolie

It is fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the threat to humanity posed by the AIDS virus, "mad cow" disease, and many others, but I think a case can be made that faith is one of the world's great evils, comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to eradicate.
-- Richard Dawkins, The Humanist, Vol. 57, No. 1

**commentary**

Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.
    --Bertrand Russell

~~~~~~~~~~~~
On science and belief:

To an honest judge, the alleged convergence between religion and science is a shallow, empty, hollow, spin-doctored sham.

Are science and religion converging? No. There are modern scientists whose words sound religious but whose beliefs, on close examination, turn out to be identical to those of other scientists who straightforwardly call themselves atheists.

**commentary**
    Science can only be created by those who are thoroughly imbued with the aspiration toward truth and understanding. This source of feeling, however, springs from the sphere of religion...The situation may be expressed by an image: science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind

Albert Einstein (1879-1955) American physicist
    Paper, Symposium on Science, Philosophy and Religion, New York (9 Sep. 1940)

I suspect the reason is that most people ... have a residue of feeling that Darwinian evolution isn't quite big enough to explain everything about life. All I can say as a biologist is that the feeling disappears progressively the more you read about and study what is known about life and evolution. I want to add one thing more. The more you understand the significance of evolution, the more you are pushed away from the agnostic position and towards atheism. Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
-- Richard Dawkins, from The New Humanist, the Journal of the Rationalist Press Association, Vol 107 No 2

**commentary**

"After religious teachers accomplish the refining process indicated they will surely recognize with joy that true religion has been ennobled and made more profound by scientific knowledge." Albert Einstein

~~~~~~~~~~~~
To summarize:

"Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it."
--Richard Dawkins

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”
--Albert Einstein

clabhdhu
Does anyone believe me?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be bothered to get into repetitive argument about Dawkins, and the mix'n'match of quotes on religion and evolution (See 'Root of all evil?' topic).
I think he was wrong to say that we are all born selfish, but that's a different argument.
I also accept that the comment that those who find God interesting "should just shut up about it" seems intolerant; however, its source is not given and it looks as if the context might have been specifically relating to arguments of proof, which would alter the case. (BTW, what's the W.S. platform?)

I must say that I think it's astonishing to pick quotes from people, some dead before Dawkins spoke, and describe them as "commentary"!
seattlegal
Oh look! It's a mirror!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clabhdhu wrote:
I can't be bothered to get into repetitive argument about Dawkins, and the mix'n'match of quotes on religion and evolution (See 'Root of all evil?' topic).
I think he was wrong to say that we are all born selfish, but that's a different argument.
I also accept that the comment that those who find God interesting "should just shut up about it" seems intolerant; however, its source is not given and it looks as if the context might have been specifically relating to arguments of proof, which would alter the case.
Here is where I found that quote.
Quote:
(BTW, what's the W.S. platform?)

Women's Suffrage platform

Quote:
I must say that I think it's astonishing to pick quotes from people, some dead before Dawkins spoke, and describe them as "commentary"!

That's my commentary, in the form of quotes.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Dawkins and the Cult of Dawkinism Reply with quote

SG,

You can probably prove anything you want with quotes ... for a start how am I supposed to know whether the quotes you give are in context or even (and I don't really think you're doing this, certainly not intentionally) actually by him?

A question though ... have you actually read any Dawkins? I ask because I own 5 books by him and have read more so I have a good feel for the man's style, despite fundy comments to contrary (and I suspect directly or indirectly but not intentionally these may be your source) I consider him to be remarkably intelligent, eloquent and an exceptionally good popular science author (I understand he's a pretty fair scientist too).

Also, on the subject of the "Root of All Evil?" ... have you seen it and if so what did you think of it? If not what do you think he means by the title?

Kyu
seattlegal
Oh look! It's a mirror!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Dawkins and the Cult of Dawkinism Reply with quote

Kyuuketsuki wrote:
SG,

You can probably prove anything you want with quotes ... for a start how am I supposed to know whether the quotes you give are in context or even (and I don't really think you're doing this, certainly not intentionally) actually by him?

A question though ... have you actually read any Dawkins? I ask because I own 5 books by him and have read more so I have a good feel for the man's style, despite fundy comments to contrary (and I suspect directly or indirectly but not intentionally these may be your source)

{Why would you think I'd be getting information from fundy sites, when getting them from atheist sites is so much more effective?}
Actually, I got them from atheist websites (linked above] and the The World of Richard Dawkins Website.

I've read a few of his article regarding meme, and excerpts from his books, but I haven't read any of his books in their entirety.
Quote:
I consider him to be remarkably intelligent, eloquent and an exceptionally good popular science author (I understand he's a pretty fair scientist too).

Also, on the subject of the "Root of All Evil?" ... have you seen it and if so what did you think of it? If not what do you think he means by the title?

Kyu

I live in the USA, so I didn't see it. I've conversed with folks in the UK who have seen it, and I've visited the "Root of all Evil" website, but that's it.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clabhdhu wrote:
I also accept that the comment that those who find God interesting "should just shut up about it" seems intolerant; however, its source is not given and it looks as if the context might have been specifically relating to arguments of proof, which would alter the case. (BTW, what's the W.S. platform?)

I agree with Dawkins, we are all born selfish, life itself is selfish in nature, and are taught or conditioned to be otherwise.

Kyu
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Dawkins and the Cult of Dawkinism Reply with quote

SG wrote:
{Why would you think I'd be getting information from fundy sites, when getting them from atheist sites is so much more effective?}
Actually, I got them from atheist websites (linked above] and the The World of Richard Dawkins Website.

I did say I suspect did I not? I was wrong and apologise ... in my defence I had no idea what your source was at the time.

Trust me on this, you will never have any real idea how good a writer the man is unless you read one of his books. Try "River Out Of Eden" or "Climbing Mount Improbable" ... I still rather like "The Blind Watchmaker"

SG wrote:
I live in the USA, so I didn't see it. I've conversed with folks in the UK who have seen it, and I've visited the "Root of all Evil" website, but that's it.

So what do you think he means by the title?

Kyu
seattlegal
Oh look! It's a mirror!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"The process of non-thinking called faith," and "misplaced ideals," and that "religion is a mind-virus."

However, I do agree with him on this statement: "Morality, is older than religion, and kindness and generosity are innate in human beings, as they are in other social animals." It fits in with my religious belief of conscience, and it fits in quite well with my political philosophy that certain inalienable rights are inherent to the condition of being human, rather than it being society that grants rights.
clabhdhu
Does anyone believe me?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlegal wrote:
"Morality, is older than religion, and kindness and generosity are innate in human beings, as they are in other social animals."

Do you have the source of that one, SG?

I'd like Kyu to compare it with the quote that "we are all born selfish" and tell me, if he can, if Dawkins reconciles these two statements, which seem to me to be of a very different colour, and his own view of them both.
seattlegal
Oh look! It's a mirror!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clabhdhu wrote:
seattlegal wrote:
"Morality, is older than religion, and kindness and generosity are innate in human beings, as they are in other social animals."

Do you have the source of that one, SG?

I'd like Kyu to compare it with the quote that "we are all born selfish" and tell me, if he can, if Dawkins reconciles these two statements, which seem to me to be of a very different colour, and his own view of them both.

Channel 4's page of Root of All Evil part 2, from the bottom section, "Innate Morality," second to last sentence of first paragraph.

The "we are born selfish" quote comes from The Selfish Gene.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlegal wrote:
Quote:

"The process of non-thinking called faith," and "misplaced ideals," and that "religion is a mind-virus."

However, I do agree with him on this statement: "Morality, is older than religion, and kindness and generosity are innate in human beings, as they are in other social animals." It fits in with my religious belief of conscience, and it fits in quite well with my political philosophy that certain inalienable rights are inherent to the condition of being human, rather than it being society that grants rights.

You got non-thinking, misplaced ideals and mind-virus just from the *title* "The Root Of All Evil?" ... that's really impressive!

How?

I think you should lighten up on the idea of a mind-virus as I don't believe for one moment Dawkins is claiming that ONLY religion is a mind-virus simply that powerful ideas carried across many centuries can act in that way.

As for the rights bit, isn't that something you should be arguing in that other thread you started or rights and morality?

Kyu
Rat_bytes
But is reflection proof of life?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG, you can watch The Root of All Evil parts one and two at this site.

Part 1
Part 2

I think you should watch both of them before commenting any further. It really clears up Dawkins' view on religion.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clab
Quote:

I agree fully, i think selfishness is something that we learn. From my own observation of my own children they all seemed very gentle in nature and would love to share at very early ages. I guess it could be down to growing up in a house that is spirtualy enhanced. One thing i did notice was when the child learns his own name and then starts to associate things that belong to him which have been given, this can quite easily breed me and mine, but by gentle loving spirtual guidance its easily avoided.

But i can understand why some here think that selfishness is inborn. I think pro creating outside of the family gene really helps.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has he been infected with this mind virus? Let's investigate:

I think dawkins raises valid points, but one thing i don't pick up from him, probably because i haven't had the misfortune to read all of his books is his response to soft and spirtual human activity and interaction. I just get the feelings of everything is black and white, right or wrong.
seattlegal
Oh look! It's a mirror!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rat_bytes wrote:
SG, you can watch The Root of All Evil parts one and two at this site.

Part 1
Part 2

I think you should watch both of them before commenting any further. It really clears up Dawkins' view on religion.

I keep getting:
Quote:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Since I now know it is available on the web, I'll see if I can find it on other sites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Godulike Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: